This classic Christmas cookie combination is a gluten free dream come true. Chewy, soft cookies studded with tart dried cranberries, toasted coconut strands, and sweet white chocolate chips that bake up in under 20 minutes. Perfect for Christmas gifting or leaving out for Santa!Cranberries, coconut, and white chocolate are a classic Christmas combination – tart cranberries are the perfect foil for super sweet white chocolate chips. My kitchen is a danger zone whenever I have an open packed of cranberries, flaked coconut, and white chocolate chips in my cupboard. I can’t help sneaking a little mixed handful every now and again until, whoops! I’ve eaten the whole packet. So, instead of snacking joyfully mindlessly on these delicious morsels, why not bake them into chewy, soft cookies that totally legitimise my sneaky snacks!And so, these cookies. Soft-baked, vanilla-scented cookie dough envelopesa decent helping of jewelled cranberry delights and chewy strands of toasted coconut, and each mouthful is studded with smooth chocolate chips. This gluten free dough is a dream to work with, and requires no chilling before you roll it into balls and bake it up in the oven. I like my cookies slightly underbaked so I took them out as soon as the edges started to tan. This leaves the centres still ooey-gooey like the cookie dough itself. And there’s nothing better than an ooey gooey cookie centre.These cookies are my healthy eating krptonite. To be sure, I have many healthy eating stumbles, but a warm, soft and chewy cookie fresh from the oven is number one on that list. And then, a follow up cookie once the cookies have cooled just to ensure that they are still as yummy – we are all about quality control in the Thoroughly Nourished house! I whipped up these cookies to share with you (virtually because in actuality my co-workers gobbled these down without a sound) as part of The Speckled Palate’s Sweetest Season Cookie Exchange! You should head to her blog to check out creations from the dozens of other bloggers taking part, and to enter the amazing giveaway. Then, crank up your Christmas mix, tie on that reindeer printed apron, and get mixing up your own batch of Christmas cookie cheer! Let me know if you make any of my Thoroughly Nourished Life cookies for your Christmas and holiday celebrations by tagging me on Instagram (@achatwin) or posting on my Facebook wall! Happy baking!
Cranberry, Coconut and White Chocolate Cookies
Gluten Free | Makes about 15 cookies | Preparation time: 15 minutes | Cooking time: 10-12 minutes
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for 4 days.
- 60 grams brown rice flour
- 60 grams white rice flour
- 50 grams sorghum flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 65 grams butter, softened
- 1/4 cup (50 grams) brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (50 grams) caster sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon coconut extract
- 3/4 cup white chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup unsweetened toasted shredded coconut
- Preheat your oven to 160C (350F) and line two baking sheets with baking paper.
- In a small bowl whisk together brown rice flour, white rice flour, sorghum flour, baking soda, and baking powder until well combined.
- In the bowl of a standmixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or using a large bowl and a handmixer, beat together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add egg and vanilla and coconut extracts and beat until well incorporated and smooth.
- Turn mixer speed to low and add flour mixture. Beat until just combined.
- Use a wooden spoon to mix in the white chocolate chips, cranberries, and coconut.
- Drop tablespoonfuls of dough onto the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes. Switch the position of the trays at 5 minutes. Check the cookies at 10 minutes and remove from the oven when they have just started to brown at the edges.
- Remove cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.