Spicy, hearty, healthy weeknight dinner fare. Bowls filled with chunks of sweet butternut squash in spicy red curry with brown rice to soak up all the extra sauce. Oh boy. Easter weekend went down in traditional style with my family this weekend. Delicious Sunday gorging paired with my birthday celebration meant chocolate and cheese were there own special food group this long weekend. Now that we’re back to riding our desks (and a stationary bike for me because my foot is playing up at the moment – wahhhh!!!) I’m feeling the need to lighten up a little for winter. Time to get some healthy but hearty foods to fuel our autumn and winter days. But even though I’m trying to get us back on the right track I’m not interested in hopping off the train to flavour town. I want healthy, tasty, scrumptious dishes that don’t leave us feeling like we’ve sacrificed anything. Say hello to this colourful, hearty, nutritious, and absolutely d.e.l.i.c.i.o.u.s Pumpkin Chickpea Red Curry. This is the perfect dish for our inter-seasonal nights. The days are still warm, but our there’s a little nip in the air when the sun goes down, and I’m always hungry for a big bowl of curry after an evening workout. This year, as the seasons change, I’m hoping to share some healthier recipes with you all. I’m feeling the need to get a little more balance back on my plate after recent exploits here on the blog…
When I was working as a dietitian one of the main barriers my clients had to healthier eating on weeknights was time. Believe me, I know your pain. By the time we get back from work and gym and Penny walking it’s getting late, and even though I love to cook, I want something that takes about 30 minutes to get on the table (or in my mouth while I’m standing in the kitchen binge-watching Will and Grace – no judgement). This curry takes about half an hour to cook and any leftovers taste even better for lunch the next day. That’s a healthy lunch and dinner from one cooking session! If you are feeding a family you can double the recipe easily – everyone is going to love this tasty, healthy curry. Jump on board the healthy train to flavour town tonight!
Pumpkin Chickpea Red Curry
Vegan | Gluten Free | Serves 4
- 1 cup brown rice
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons red curry paste (check to ensure this is gluten free)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 cups cubed butternut squash
- 1 medium red capsicum, diced into large pieces
- 1 1/2 cups chickpeas
- 2/3 cup light coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- Large handful green beans
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Coriander leaves, chopped, to serve
- Place the brown rice and water in a medium saucepan with a tight-fitting lid. Bring to the boil (uncovered) over a medium-high temperature, then cover the saucepan and reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook for 20 minutes then turn off the heat and sit for 5 minutes before fluffing the rice. Allow to sit at room temperature until needed.
- Preheat the olive oil in a heavy based large sauce pan or dutch oven. Cook the onion and garlic until the onion is translucent. Add red curry paste and cumin and cook until fragrant.
- Add cubed butternut squash, capsicum, and chickpeas.
- Stir through coconut milk and water. Simmer curry for 20 minutes or until the butternut squash is tender when pierced with a fork.
- Add the green beans and cook for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon rice into bowls, top with curry and sprinkle with chopped coriander to serve.