Super crunchy, super seedy, super healthy morning fuel. This Super Seedy Honey Almond Buckwheat Granola is here to power up your mornings, and supercharge your snacks!I love granola and muesli (but I’m sure you know that by now) and usually I love all sorts of dried fruit tossed in amongst the grains and seeds and nuts. But this time I wanted a crispy, crunchy granola supercharged with all sorts of gluten free grains and seeds.
Just look at all the good stuff I’ve packed into this granola! We’ve got buckwheat, quinoa, almonds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, and chia seeds. And (science nerd alert) these are in fact (with the exception of almonds) ALL seeds! Quinoa and buckwheat are classified as ‘pseudo-grains’ as they are both actually the seeds of different plants, not grains! This granola provides a huge nutritional boost for the day too! We’re talking Zinc (skin, immune function), Vitamin E (skin, protection against heart disease, healthy eyes), Potassium (healthy muscles and nerves) and Magnesium (healthy muscle function), not to mention fibre (it helps to…you know….) and Omega 3s!
Now you’ve learned something for the day, let’s get onto something delicious to eat!All of these yummy, nibbly, nutritional morsels are mixed with a touch of cinnamon and sea salt and coated in just a touch of rice bran oil and sweet local honey. I like my granola chunky so I didn’t stir mine while it was cooking <– pro granola making tip! When it comes out of the oven and has cooled you simply break it up into pieces the size that you desire! If you like a less chunky granola stir it every 10 minutes or so while it’s cooking.I am in love with the pure honey flavour and crispy crunchiness of this granola! I sprinkled it over thick Greek yoghurt and topped it with some bright, sweet raspberries and devoured it for a late lunch on Sunday #recipetestingwin. All week for work I’ve been pairing it with more yoghurt and a banana for a portable, desk appropriate breakfast that keeps me full all the way to lunch time! And I have to admit, more than a few handfuls might have disappeared as a perfect post-run snack.
Super Seedy Honey Almond Buckwheat Granola
Gluten Free | Makes approximately 3 cups
Make it vegan: replace honey with maple syrup.
- 1/2 cup buckwheat groats (kernels)
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- 3/4 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 tablespoons rice bran oil
- 3 tablespoons local honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 160C (320F) and line a large, rimmed, baking sheet with baking paper.
- In a large bowl mix together buckwheat groats, quinoa, almonds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, chia seeds, sesame seeds, cinnamon, and salt.
- In a small bowl mix together honey and rice bran oil. You may need to heat it in the microwave for 15-20 seconds to loosen it up enough to mix it smoothly. Add the vanilla extract and whisk until smooth.
- Pour wet mixture over dry blend and mix well with a wooden spoon until there are no pockets of dry mixture.
- Spread out over the lined baking sheet and press down slightly with the back of the wooden spoon. This will help the clumps to form.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes. Switch the position of the tray halfway through baking time to ensure everything browns evenly.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- Once cooled, break into clumps.
- Store or serve and enjoy!