Chickpea Noodle Soup is my twist on the classic winter comfort food, and it’s just what you need to stay thoroughly nourished this winter. Rainy winter Sundays are made for staying in your pyjamas, snuggling puppies, making soup, and watching bad action movies. At least, that’s the rule in our house. After a big Saturday spent at the farmers market, getting blood tests, going for a slow walk/run, and partying the night away for my Mum and Casey’s birthday a restful Sunday was definitely on the cards. I slept in until 8, schlepped downstairs in my pyjama pants and made tea and decided that a big pot of noodle soup was just what we needed to complete our comfort-filled Sunday.
Chicken noodle soup is a classic winter comfort food and I wanted to create a vegetarian alternative that we vegetarians (and those who enjoy vegetarian foods on occasion) could include in our winter soup rotation. I also wanted to create a recipe that used basic ingredients I always have in my cupboard and fridge so that I could whip up this soup without having to
put on pants leave my warm and cosy house to buy ingredients for. So I started with the basics: onion, carrot, celery. The classic mirepoix that every good noodle soup needs in its foundation. I added garlic and dried oregano, thyme, and rosemary for a warm and flavoursome broth. Then I added the stars of the show: gluten free spaghetti noodles and chickpeas. A smattering of corn kernels for just a touch of sweetness, and then I finished it off with a shower of fresh parsley to brighten it up. Simple. Classic. Perfection. Most of the time I spend my Sundays rushing around trying to fit in all the chores I missed during the week. I was grateful for the rain forcing me to slow down, cancel my To Do list, and just relax into a day spent doing nothing but snuggling and slurping soup (oh and making these cookies with gluten free flour). I’ll be carrying the peace I’m feeling right now through the week with me along with chickpea noodle soup in my lunchbox.
Chickpea Noodle Soup
| vegan | gluten free | serves 4 | store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to two days
note: if you are an omnivore feel free to go right ahead and add a cooked, shredded chicken breast to the finished soup and make chicken chickpea noodle soup
- 1 medium onion
- 2 medium carrots
- 3 stalks celery
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 5 cups water
- 200 grams gluten free spaghetti
- 1 can chickpeas
- 3/4 cup corn kernels
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Dice the onion. Thinly slice the carrots and celery.
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy-based saucepan over low heat. Add the onion, carrot and celery and saute until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Crush the garlic and add to the saucepan along with the dried herbs, salt and pepper.
- Add the water and spaghetti. Bring the pot to a simmer and cook for until the spaghetti is al dente (check the back of the packet).
- Once the spaghetti is cooked add the chickpeas and corn kernels and cook for another minute.
- Serve the soup topped with the fresh parsley.