Sweet summer corn fresh off the cob contrasts perfectly with salty feta in this easy-to-make, light, vegetarian, gluten free meal that’s perfect for brunch, lunch, or a light dinner. Make this for your next family get-together, or an easy Sunday night dinner that leads to easy Monday afternoon lunches. This weekend we celebrated my sister’s birthday. Family celebrations for us, including birthdays, holidays, or just get-togethers always mean lots of food and Sunday lunch was no different. Usually we do a smorgasbord (we are Danish after all) of different little dishes, cheese platters, fruit platters, and of course some ‘celebration foods’ 😉 but this weekend I wanted to have something that was a centre piece and an alternative to those of us who didn’t feel like making up sandwiches. Enter: the frittata! Out of all the savoury choices available on the table for lunch, this easy to make dish got the most praise and requests for the recipe! It came together in about 20 minutes and baked for 40 minutes while I was running around decorating the house with pink lanterns and finding the stripy straws I bought for the blood-orange lemonade spritzers we sipped on with our frittata.
This corn and feta frittata couldn’t be any easier, and you’ll love how full of sweet corn flavour it is. There are only a few ingredients in this dish so make sure you get the freshest corn available (I love living in Queensland), and splurge a little on your favourite feta. The simple things really are the best! And the best things should be simple. I love throwing together a frittata or crustless quiche on a Sunday and reaping the lunchtime rewards for the rest of the week. Crustless quiches, or frittatas, are full of protein and healthy fats from whole eggs and a dollop of Greek yoghurt. They are an easy way to pack in plenty of vegetables too – and when you serve them with a side salad you’ve got even more delicious vegetables on the plate! Might I suggest this one or for a few filling whole grains with your meal -> this one is perfect.
Every bite of this frittata is packed with juicy kernels of fresh corn and salty bites of feta. It really packs in the corn too: six ears of it! This is a frittata for corn lovers indeed! Make it for your next family lunch, or Sunday brunch and you won’t be disappointed!
Corn and Feta Frittata
Gluten Free | Vegetarian | Serves 8
- 6 ears of corn
- 1 small red onion
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil, and extra to oil the dish
- 8 large eggs
- 1/4 cup Greek yoghurt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 100 grams feta, crumbled
- Preheat your oven to 180C (350F) and oil a 10-inch pie dish with the extra olive oil. Place aside until required.
- Cut the kernels off the ears of corn, and dice the onion into a small dice.
- Heat the olive oil in a small non-stick frying pan and then sauté the onion and corn kernels until the onion is translucent. Spread the corn mixture into the pie dish.
- Beat the eggs, yoghurt, oregano, thyme, salt and pepper together until well blended. Pour over the corn mixture and give it a little shake to make sure the egg mix is evenly distributed.
- Sprinkle over the crumbled feta.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes or until the centre of the quiche is set. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before slicing.
- Store the leftover quiche well wrapped in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.