Orange cupcakes with a touch of richness from hazelnut meal topped with a creamy, chocolate and hazelnut ganache. A grown up way to enjoy a Nutella treat tonight!I’m bringing you these special treats today in honour of Lynn (of Fresh April Flours fame) and her husband Matt (Bent On Better super trainer) and their son, Joey, who is expected to arrive any day now! Lynn and I met on the interwebs about two years ago, and we have become real life friends since then too! We spent a special 24 hours with Lynn and Matt (and Leah and Anthony) when we were in the US last year, and were over the moon when Lynn and Matt announced that the April family was growing to include one special little boy. Joey, when you are reading this in years to come, you should know that your Mum and Dad are awesome and they fought so hard to have you. You are one loved little kangaroo!
Today Cate (Chez Catey Lou), Jessica (Sweetest Menu), Leah (Grain Changer) and I are sharing Orange recipes to celebrate little Joey’s impending arrival! Since we couldn’t all be there in person to throw Lynn a baby shower we are taking to the internet to show our friend how excited we are for her and Matt! On the menu for our orange theme:
- Gluten-Free Orange Chocolate Chip Scones – Grain Changer
- Reese Pieces Peanut Butter Cheesecake – Sweetest Menu
- Orange Chocolate Chip Cookies – Chez Catey Lou
There’s nothing better at a celebration than being able to sample all sorts of different treats, so I’ve gone with these adorable little Orange Hazelnut Cupcakes with Nutella Ganache. The cake is moist and dense like a supercharged pound cake kept light and fruity with plenty of orange zest! These cupcakes use a very simple method too – no creaming required! You’ll have these little beauties ready to eat in no time. Once they’ve cooled down all you need to do is slather on a hearty helping of deep chocolate and nutella ganache. Chocolate and orange are a classic combination! I’m raising a cupcake to your little family today and wishing you all the best on this next delicious step in your journey!
Orange Hazelnut Cupcakes with Nutella Ganache
Gluten Free | Makes 10-12 Cupcakes | Will keep at room temperature in an airtight container for up to three days | Freeze well-wrapped for up to two months
- 50 grams brown rice flour
- 40 grams white rice flour
- 50 grams hazelnut meal
- 30 grams buckwheat flour
- 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- Zest 1 orange
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup Greek/natural yoghurt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 tablespoons rice bran oil (or other flavourless vegetable oil)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
For the ganache
- 1/3 cup cream
- 100 grams chocolate, chopped finely
- 1/3 cup Nutella (or other chocolate hazelnut spread)
- Preheat your oven to 180C (350F). Line the cups of a 12-hole cupcake pan with papers. Set aside until required.
- In a large bowl whisk together brown rice flour, white rice flour, hazelnut meal, buckwheat flour, salt, and baking powder.
- In a separate medium mixing bowl rub orange zest into caster sugar until combined. This helps release the oils from the orange skin and enhances flavour.
- Add milk, yoghurt, eggs, rice bran oil, and vanilla essence. Whisk until smooth.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Distribute batter between cupcake papers.
- Place in oven and bake for 15-18 minutes or until the tops bounce back when lightly pressed.
- Remove cupcakes from oven and allow to cool in tin for 10 minutes before removing and allowing to cool completely before frosting with Nutella Ganache.
- Heat cream in the microwave for 30 seconds. Stir in chopped chocolate until smooth, then stir in Nutella. Allow to cool and thicken until a spreadable texture, similar to Nutella ;). Spread on top of cooled cupcakes and decorate as desired.